Sunday, October 26, 2008

Weekly Challenge Check In

Photo of Tomato Chutney
from Mad Tea Party Blog

Sharon's Independence Days Challenge Week 19
Plant something: Nope
Prep something: Made and froze some more pumpkin puree- dehydrated some apple rings. Made some banana chips.
Harvest something: nothing more than a few beans
Manage something: Started putting garage in order
Cook Something New: Tried some Tomato Chutney ( I have of unfounded fear of anything with the name “chutney”) on Millet Bread spread with Cream Cheese to qoute Paris Hilton- “Loves it”- and found a Corn Chowder recipe that I doctored up-
Rob’s Corn Chowder Recipe
1/2 cup diced bacon or ½ cup diced soy bacon
Three garlic cloves- minced
4 medium potatoes, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cups chicken stock or broth
1 can cream-style corn, 2 (12 ounces each) cans or 1 pound, 4 ounce package frozen
1 can regular corn- or 1 package frozen corn
2 teaspoons salt
pepper to taste
2 cups half-and-half or light cream, scalded
Preparation:
Sauté bacon until browned and crisp; add chopped potatoes and onions and garlic. Add stock, corn, and seasonings; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in half-and-half; heat through but do not boil. You can substitute regular frozen corn for the cream corn. Serves 4.

Work on Local Food Systems: bought some Honey Crisp apples and bananas from the green grocer
Re-Cycle, Re-Use, Re-Duce, Repair or Compost something: Sunflower stalks, raked up some leaves: put on compost bin, Gave the worms in worm bin a bad apple, Took a Pig Shaped cutting board my mom had (she collects these and routed it out to put a clock work in so she can hand it up with the other pigs in her kitchen, for Christmas, And I recovered an old headboard for her for Christmas as well. Fixed the lock on the back door.
Learn a skill: Nope

MELINDA'S BUY SUSTAINABLY CHALLENGE: The only thing I bought this week (besides groceries) was some more brads to finish the siding project. And my shopping was done local at my neighborhood “green grocer” Duane’s Garden Patch, and I learned that my favorite bread, available at Trader Joe’s is local- thanks to Melinda’s Blog

JENNIFER'S STOP THE LEAKS CHALLENGE- Just about finished the siding project on the North Gable- Looks good- or at least better than what was there- like gaping holes in the siding thanks to the roofing contractors- Just like Jennifer said in her blog this week “I'm never hiring out work again” of course I will change my mind- but I certainly feel her pain after the roofing contractor left me this job to do!

CRUNCHY DOMESTIC GODDESS’ DITCH THE DISPOSABLES CHALLENGE- LOL! Ran into a bit of trouble this week buying produce- Duane, the produce stand manager looked at me like I was some kind of nut for not putting my produce into little plastic bags! Get over it Duane! I think produce bags are totally stupid!
Remembered my commuter mug and “Kleen Kanteen” every trip this week! Take out once- Pizza, throw boxes in yard waste bin!

No comments: